Sunday, January 3, 2010

New Year and a new blog, starting with a picture of Cornwall

May in Sennen Cove. photo: copyright Vivien Blackburn

I've got hundreds - no thousands of photos, some of which I occasionally show on my painting blog. Anita has started a photography blog, where she intends to show a picture a day. I thought it was a great idea.

This won't be a newly taken photo every day, most will be from the vast stored archives I have, mixed in with the new.

I've always had an interest in photography, mainly for its own sake as I prefer not to paint from photos. I included photography in my degree - the university had a wonderful state-of-the-art darkroom in the media department.

The same issues interest me in photography as in painting - light, mood, sense of place, texture, colour and pattern. The arrangement of elements or fields and hedges make wonderful abstract patterns.

The first one I share has to be Cornwall. This one taken on an intensely blue day - vivid blue seas and sky and the fisherman surrounded by gulls :>)

4 comments:

  1. I'm first, I'm first!!!! I look forward to your photo blog, Vivien. You're off to a great start. Love the panorama in your header!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm late to find this but I am so glad that you are doing this, Vivien. Wonderful to see all those photos. Thank you.
    annie

    ReplyDelete
  3. How peaceful! And what a calm sea.
    Thank you for linking to me - reciprocated!
    Happy New Year, Vivien!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you all :>)

    that's from Cape Cornwall, near where KJ paints a lot and lives - it had the most sparkling silver and black drama that day with the distant cliffs those misty unreal silhouettes in blues - this picture focusses in on them.

    Happy New Year to you all :>)

    ReplyDelete